Disston Park is located between Keystone Street and the long-standing railroad. The park was originally laid out by Henry Disston, the owner of Disston Saw Works and the developer of the Disston company town that helped to establish Tacony.
Disston initially developed the park as a green space for his company town. The park’s initial purpose was to serve as a place for leisure activities for nearby residents and to act as a physical barrier between the houses and the industrial activities along the Delaware River.
As the Tacony neighborhood has changed over the decades, Disston Park continues to be a popular place for leisure activities. The now mature trees provide shade throughout the spring and summer community events in the park. In the winter, the park becomes a snowy playland.
Disston’s vision of the park remains intact today as it was in 1870: Disston Park provides leisure space for the Tacony community all year round and is a buffer between the residences and incompatible developments.